Words are the building blocks of language. Without words we’d be left with only gestures and signs to communicate our thoughts, opinions, feelings, wants, needs etc. It could take a lot of time to get our point right and also lead to a lot of miscommunications and misunderstandings. This is why we need words; to read, write and communicate with others effectively and effortlessly.
Building an expansive vocabulary takes time. This is why we need to introduce children to words from an early age. Along with building their vocabulary, teaching new words for kids also helps them become fluent readers and writers. The best way to help your child learn new words is to read to them, play with them and talk to them. In addition to this, you should also teach your child how to apply these words in conversation.
But just teaching kids new words everyday isn’t enough. Along with the vocabulary building activities, you also need to ensure that the words stick in your child’s mind. You’ll need to conduct activities that help your child use the words in the right context. This repeated application of the words is the best way to help your child remember the words.
10 Amazing Vocabulary Building Activities to Do with Your Child
- Tell me a story: Ask your child to tell you a story and be as descriptive as possible. They can even invent one. This is a great way to engage your child in conversation and help them learn new words.
- Reading: Reading is one of the best ways to help your child build a wide and extensive vocabulary. Read stories to your child or help them put the words together and read on their own. This activity will enhance your child’s confidence and reading skills along with their vocabulary skills.
- Word search puzzle: Little children love learning activities that involve playing. Word search puzzles are one of the best ways to enhance your kids learning of new words. Additionally, it improves your child’s spelling skills too.
- Write about your day: A journal is a great way to learn to express our thoughts and feelings. Help your child learn new words and remember them by using a journal to write about their day.
- Sing: This is one of the most fun word-learning activities that most kids will take part in enthusiastically. Play your child’s favorite song and ask them to sing along loudly. This helps your child learn new words and use them too.
- I spy: When there’s a game involved in learning, children are more likely to participate more eagerly. Next time your child is bored of reading or listening to stories, play a game of I spy with them. For example, gather your kids and say ‘I spy with my little eye something that begins with D’. The kids will have to name all the things beginning with D in the room to guess the word.
- Build a cool word collection: This is a fun activity to help kids learn new words and remember them. Hunt through magazines and newspapers everyday for some cool, unheard words. Then write it in a book like you would add a new photo to an album.
- Word scavenger hunt: Kids love games that involve moving. So, write a few words on flashcards and hide them around your house. Give your kids a set of clues and ask them to go on a word scavenger hunt.
- Crossword puzzles: Crossword puzzles are one of the best ways to improve your child’s vocabulary and thinking skills. Additionally, it also improves their spelling skills.
- Categories: Categories is one of the most enjoyable vocabulary building activities for kids. To play this game, write down several categories like name, place, animal, thing etc. on a piece of paper. Then choose a letter of the alphabet and ask your child to write a word under each category. For example, if you choose the letter A, you’ll have to write Amy, America, Ant and Apple under the corresponding categories.
These 10 fun activities will ensure your child becomes a wordsmith in no time at all.